Background: Preterm labour is defined as labour that starts before the baby has been pregnant for 37 weeks. Approximately 9% of all pregnancies have it. If a woman experiences uterine contractions that result in cervical effacement and dilatation, she is thought to be in premature labour. Any woman who exhibits a pattern of labour lasting more than an hour, with contractions lasting 30 seconds and happening as regularly as every 10 minutes apart, should be diagnosed as being in labour. Because a premature baby is born as a result of preterm labour, it is serious. Premature mothers may experience more painless contractions, backaches, and excessive vaginal discharge than other pregnant women. Preterm delivery is responsible for 75% of all perinatal fatalities and up to 50% of infant neurological impairments. Preterm birth rates vary among different demographics, with the socioeconomically privileged population experiencing the lowest rates and the medically underprivileged population seeing the highest rates. Finding the women who are at risk for preterm labour is the first step in managing this issue. Method: 40 volunteers total were chosen for this experimental investigation using a non-probability handy sampling strategy. Design experimentation was done. Data was gathered using a structured interviewing method. Information collected for the two portions, including socio-demographic data, a knowledge quiz, and a practice checklist. The split half technique formula was used to determine the tool's dependability. Knowledge yielded a reliability result of r=0.904. prenatal care instruction manual that you prepared yourself. Result: Pre-test knowledge for the expectant women was only average for 16(40%) and low for 24 (60%) of the mothers. When post test results were compared to pre test scores, it was clear that prenatal moms' knowledge had improved, as 12 of them (30%) had good knowledge and the remaining 28(70%) had average knowledge. The mean knowledge score increased from 16.2+2.85 to 22.45+2.13 in the post test from the pre test. Conclusion: The study demonstrated that the self-educational programme for primi para moms on the causes of preterm labor and how to prevent it was a rational, rational, and cost-effective technique.
Cite this article:
Aneesa Rehamani, Saif Ullah Sheikh, Nasiya Wani, Seema Rasool. Effectiveness of a Self-educational Module on Preterm Labor's Causes, Symptoms, and Prevention among Pregnant women in the OPD at particular hospitals in Kashmir. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(1):30-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00006
Aneesa Rehamani, Saif Ullah Sheikh, Nasiya Wani, Seema Rasool. Effectiveness of a Self-educational Module on Preterm Labor's Causes, Symptoms, and Prevention among Pregnant women in the OPD at particular hospitals in Kashmir. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(1):30-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00006 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-11-1-6
1. International Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day [Internet]. Newborn Baby. 2020 [cited 19 November 2020]. Available from: https://newbornbaby.com.au/2020/10/international-pregnancy-and-infant-loss-remembrance-day.
2. Preterm birth [Internet]. Who.int. 2020 [cited 19 November 2020]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/preterm-birth
3. Pillitteri A. Maternal and child health nursing. 2nded. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Company; 1995. p. 462.
4. Altarum.org. 2020 [cited 19 November 2020]. Available from: https://altarum.org/sites/default/files/uploaded-publication-files/c06.pdf
5. Varney H, Kriebs JM, Gegon CL. Text book of Midwifery. 4thed. New Delhi: All India publishers and distributors; 2005. p. 856.
6. Dutta DC. Text book of obstetrics. 6th ed. Calculta: New central book Agency; 2004.p. 314.
7. Ministry Of Health clinical practice guidance. Management of preterm Labor. Ministry of health, Singapore: 2001May; 3:1-2.
8. Wood G, Haber J. Nursing research methods- critical appraisal and utilization. 3rded.London. Mosby; 1994.
9. Basvanthappa BT. Nursing research. New Delhi : Jaypee Brothers; 1998.
10. Kerlinger FN. Foundation of Behavioral Research. New York : Hold International Edition; 1973.
11. Basvanthappa BT. Nursing Research. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical publishers (9) ltd; 2003