Coronary microvascular disease is a disease of the small blood vessels in the circulation and damage to the lining of the walls of the heart lead to narrowing and decrease blood flow to the heart muscles. Most common cause is long term diabetes mellitus. A majority of people around 60%-75% with coronary microvascular disease are affected among women. I am presenting a case study report of a 40 years old female, admitted in the hospital at IGMC, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh with the complaint of pain, pulselessness in right arm, cold extremities and blackening of fingers and gradually started numbness in left fingers also since 2 weeks. A detailed assessment and investigations concluded the diagnosis as Coronary Microvascular Disease. Other diagnosis can be performed like ECG, cardiac angiography, cardiac stress test, cardiac catheterization, coronary flow reserve(CFR). She was treated with blood thinners, statins, alpha and beta blockers.
Cite this article:
Yachna Verma. Coronary Microvascular Disease: A Case Study. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(1):60-2. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00013
Yachna Verma. Coronary Microvascular Disease: A Case Study. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(1):60-2. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00013 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-11-1-13
1. Small Vessel Disease. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]. Available from: https://www.rwjbh.org/treatment-care/heart-and-vascular-care/diseases-conditions/small-vessel-disease/
2. Small vessel disease. Sparrow. 2022 [cited 22 May 2022]. Available from: https://www.sparrow.org/departments-conditions/conditions/small-vessel-disease
3. Patel H. Microvascular Disease and Small-Vessel Disease: The Nexus of Multiple Diseases of Women | Journal of Women's Health. Journal of Women's Health. 2022 [cited 22 May 2022]. Available from: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jwh.2019.7826
4. Coronary Microvascular Disease (MVD). www.heart.org. 2022 [cited 22 May 2022]. Available from:https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/angina-chest-pain/coronary-microvascular-disease-mvd
5. Berry Colin, SidikNovalia. Small-Vessel Disease in the Heart and Brain:Current Knowledge, Unmet Therapeutic Need, and Future Directions. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2019. Available from: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/epub/10.1161/JAHA.118.011104
6. Small vessel disease - Symptoms and causes. Mayo Clinic. 2022 [cited 22 May 2022]. Available from:https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/small-vessel-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20352117#:~:text=Small%20vessel%20disease%20is%20a,and%20symptoms%20of%20heart%20disease.
7. Senthilkumar T, Tamilselvi A. Risk factors of Cardiovascular Disease in Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1): 151-156
8. NidhinAbraham.Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme [STP] on knowledge regarding management of modifiable risk factors of Coronary Artery Disease in patients with Diabetes Mellitus in selected rural areas of Mehsana District. Int. J. Nur. Edu. And Research. 2017; 5(3) : 310-314.
9. Microvascular Coronary Disease (MCD): Symptoms, Causes and Treatment Cleveland Clinic.2022. Available from: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/disease/21052-microvascular-coronary-disease
10. Small Vessel Disease: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatments. Healthline. 2022 [cited 22 May 2022]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/small-vessel-disease#causes
11. Suraj V. Bondre, Rushikesk S. Chavan, Indrayani D. Raut, Shrinivas K. Mohite, Chandrakant S. Magdum. An Overview of Survey on Antihypertensive Drugs. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(3): 160-162.
12. Newman K, Argyriou A, Wang T. Induced pluripotent stem cell modeling of genetic small vessel disease. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/small-vessel-disease
13. BaireyMerz C. Testing for Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction.2022 [cited 22 May 2022]. Available from: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2755842
14. Small Vessel Disease - Angina - Symptoms | familydoctor.org.familydoctor.org. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]. Available from: https://familydoctor.org/condition/small-vessel-disease/
15. Ajit Singh, Hashir Kareem, Tom Devasia, Prasad N Shetty, SheetalChauhan, YeswanthRao K. Graded Exercise Therapy and Six Minute Walk Test: The Modern Care of Peripheral Vascular Disease. Research J. Pharm. And Tech 2017; 10(11): 4099-4101.