Arwinder Kaur, Sushma Kumari Saini, Amarjeet Singh
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , Dramanjeet56@gmil.com
Arwinder Kaur1*, Sushma Kumari Saini2, Amarjeet Singh3
1M.Sc. (Community Health Nursing), National Institute of Nursing Education PGIMER, Chandigarh, India.
2Lecturer, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
3Associate Professor, Department of Community Medicine, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
Volume - 9,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Introduction: Menopause is the transition phase in the women life. The decrease level of estrogen hormone can leads to menopausal symptom, like hot flushes, joint and muscle pain etc. Objectives: To assess the prevalence of menopausal symptoms among peri-menopasual women. Methodology: A study was performed in two low socioeconomic peripheral areas of Chandigarh city, India. Descriptive design was used and house to house survey was done to enlist peri-menopausal women. Total 150 menopausal women select by purposive sampling technique. They were interviewed as per interview schedule comprised of (a) socio-demographic and (b) menopausal rating scale. Data was collected from August–November 2018. Data was analysed by SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences) version 23.0 using descriptive statistics. Result: The age of 150 peri-menopausal women ranged from 46-55 year with average age 49 year. They complained of having menopausal symptoms i.e hot flushes (85.3%), backache (7.3%), sadness (48.6%), headache (8%), vaginal dryness (28.6%), mood swing (10%), sleep disturbances (29.3%) and irritability (58.6%). Conclusion: There is high prevalence of menopausal symptom among peri-menopausal women.
Cite this article:
Arwinder Kaur, Sushma Kumari Saini, Amarjeet Singh. Prevalence of Menopausal symptoms among peri-Menopasual women in Suburban area of Chandigarh, India. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2021; 9(1):69-73. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00017.X
1. Williams R, Levineb B, Kalilani L, Lewisc J, Clarkd R. Menopause-specific questionnaire assessment in US population-based study shows negative impact on health-related quality of life. Maturitas. 2009;(62):153-9. www.ejmanager.com/mnstemps/ 89/ 89-1402209809.pdf
2. Grant MD, Marbella A, Wang AT, Pines E, Hoag J, Bonnell C, et al. Introduction [Internet]. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2015 [cited 2019Jan 21]. Available from: https:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK285446/
3. Menopause-Wikipedia [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 18]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menopause.
4. Menopause: Symptoms and Types [Internet]. WebMD. [cited 2019 Mar 12]. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/menopause/ guide/menopause-symptoms-types
5. Jafary F, Farahbakhsh K, Shafiabadi A, Delavar A. Quality of life and menopause: Developing a theoretical model based on meaning in life, self-efficacy beliefs, and body image. Aging Mental Health. 2011 Jul 1;15(5) [cited 2019 Apr 7:630–7. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21815855/?i=3&from=/25743735/related
6. Stages of Menopause | Menopause [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 21]. Available from: http://menopause.northwestern.edu/content/ stages-menopause
7. Culture and symptom reporting at menopause|Human Reproduction Update|Oxford Academic [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 19 ]. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/humupd/ article/11/5/495/605995
8. Dalal PK, Agarwal M. Postmenopausal syndrome. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2015 Jul 1; 57(6): 222 Available from: www.indianjpsychiatry.org/article.asp?issn=0019-5545;year=2015;...57;...
9. Singh A, Pradhan SK. Menopausal symptoms of postmenopausal women in a rural community of Delhi, India: A cross-sectional study. J Midlife Health. 2014;5(2):62–7[cited 2019 Mar 20];15. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC4071646/
10. Singh A, Arora AK. Profile of menopausal women in rural north India. Climacteric. 2005 Jun; 8 (2): 177–84. [cited 2019 Mar 1]; 15. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ 16096174
11. De Silva Weliange S, Fernando D, Gunatilake J. Pattern of Physical Activity Among Sri Lankan Adults in the District of Colombo: A Cross-sectional Study. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2016 Nov;28(8):725–36. [cited 2019 Apr 2];15. Available from: https:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27469309
12. Introduction to Menopause - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester Medical Center [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jan 21]. Available from: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/ content.aspx?contenttypeid=85&contentid=P01535