Introduction: Hospital acquired infections are most common in the developing countries like India. Improper handling and management of the biomedical or hospital waste is also an important cause of the health associated infections. Hospital acquired infections also referred to as health care associated infections (HAI), are infections acquired during the process of receiving health care that was not present during the time of admission. Adequate knowledge regarding use of techniques like standard safety precautions, universal precautions and aseptic techniques can reduce hospital acquired infections to a great extent. Materials and method: The design used for study was experimental research design. The study was conducted on a sample of 50 student nurses. Self structured questionnaire was used as a tool for data collection. Results: The study result reveals that 0(0%) student nurses had good knowledge regarding prevention of hospital acquired infection and 30(60%) student nurses had average knowledge before administering structured teaching program and 20(40%) had poor knowledge. Post test results revealed that 9(18%) student nurses had good knowledge score and 41(82%) had average knowledge score after administration of structured teaching program on prevention of hospital acquired infection. Association of different demographical variables with the level of knowledge before undergoing structured teaching program was assessed using x2 and it has been found that there is no significant association between the level of knowledge and socio-demographic variable. Conclusion: The findings of the study revealed that application of structured teaching program has increased the level of knowledge of student nurses to a great extent and there is no association between the level of knowledge regarding prevention o hospital acquired infection among the student nurses of selected colleges in Meerut to their socio demographic variables.
Cite this article:
Meera Raj M.A., Harimohan Singh. A Study on The Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding Prevention of Hospital Acquired Infection among student nurses of selected colleges of Meerut. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(2):174-8. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00041
Meera Raj M.A., Harimohan Singh. A Study on The Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding Prevention of Hospital Acquired Infection among student nurses of selected colleges of Meerut. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(2):174-8. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00041 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-2-20
1. Sweta Pandey and Anil K Dwivedi.Nosocomial Infections through Hospital Waste, International Journal of Waste Resources 2016, Volume 6
2. Mukerjee AK. Hospital Acquired Infection Guidelines forControl. Government of India,NewDelhi,1992.
3. Park K. Text book of Social and Preventive Medicine. Jabalpur, Bharat Publishers, 2000. PP.82,137-138.
4. Linda S.Williams,Paula D.Hopper.” Understanding MedicalSurgical Nursing “3rd edition jaypee publication 2009Pp-208-209.
5. Lewis,Heitkemper ,’’Medical Surgical Nursing”7th edition,mosby Elsevier Publication,St Louine,Missouri 2008 Pp-486-488.
6. Gowda M N. A study on effectiveness of self instructional module on knowledge of Health worker care provider regarding hospital acquired infection and self protection. RGUHS,2001.
7. Hung Jang, Wang, Lin, Ferrie Burgers. A survey to determine knowledge of nurses in a clinical setting about universal precautions. 2002.
8. Gopal K. Cluster of severe acute respiratory syndrome protected health care worker. Indian medcial journal,2004.
9. Meena A. Prevalence of post operative nosocomial infection inneuro surgical patients and associated risk factors. A prospective study of 2441 patients.2003.
10. Kim KM, Chung MA. Knowledge and performance of the universal precautions by nursing and medical students in Korea. American journal of infection control. 2001: 29(8);295-300.
11. Singh, Kishore R, Mathur J., Mandal RG, Puri K. The roles of an information booklet on biomedical waste management for nurses. The nursing Journal of India,2002.
12. Potter and Perry. Text book of Fundamental Nursing. 5th edn. Mosby Publishers2000.
13. Monica P. Infection controls a Policy and Procedure Manual. Philadelphia WBSoundersCompany,1990.