Caplan's syndrome is characterized by the presence of seropositive rheumatoid arthritis associated with a specific form of pneumoconiosis, consisting of multiple, well-defined homogeneous rounded opacities on chest X-ray. It develops especially in miners working in anthracite coal-mines and in persons exposed to silica and asbestos. In the development of the disease, genetic factors are considered to play an important role by influencing immunological reactivity of the organism exposed to various heteroantigens. CASE HISTORY: Mr. Nataraj 56 yrs who admitted in a private hospital with cough and shortness of breath in conjunction with features of rheumatoid arthritis, such as painful joints and morning stiffness for the past 2 months.he is the known case of hypertension, asthma.on the day of admission, he was conscious and oriented.he was treated by bronchodialators, steroids, nsaids, antihypertensives.
Cite this article:
Kavitha. D. Caplan's Syndrome. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2021; 9(1):123-124. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00031.4
1. Murray, John F. (2010). Murray and Nadel's textbook of respiratory medicine (5th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Saunders/Elsevier. p. 1566. ISBN 978-1-4160-4710-0.
2. Ondrasík M (1989). "Caplan syndrome". Baillière's Clinical Rheumatology. 3 (1): 205–10. doi:10.1016/S0950-3579(89)80045-7. PMID 2661027.
3. Caplan A (March 1953). "Certain unusual radiological appearances in the chest of coal-miners suffering from rheumatoid arthritis". Thorax. 8 (1): 29–37. doi:10.1136/thx.8.1.29. PMC 1019224. PMID 13038735.
4. Caplan, Anthony (1953). "Certain Unusual Radiological Appearances in the Chest of Coal-miners Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis". Thorax. 8 (1): 29–37. doi:10.1136/thx.8.1.29. ISSN 0040-6376. PMC 1019224. PMID 13038735.
5. Miall, W. E.; Anthony Caplan; A. L. Cochrane; G. S. Kilpatrick; P. D. Oldham (1953-12-05). "Rheumatoid Arthritis Associated with Characteristic Chest X-ray Appearances in Coal-workers". British Medical Journal. 2 (4848): 1231–1236. doi:10.1136/bmj.2.4848.1231. ISSN 0007-1447. PMC 2030245. PMID 13106392.
6. Caplan, A.; R. B. Payne; J. L. Withey (September 1962). "A Broader Concept of Caplan Syndrome Related to Rheumatoid Factors". Thorax. 17 (3): 205 212. doi:10.1136/thx.17.3.205. ISSN 0040-6376. PMC 1018697. PMID 13876317