Suvitha, Rishiyadharshini, Roshini, Ruthra, Sairam
Suvitha1, Rishiyadharshini2, Roshini2, Ruthra2, Sairam2
1Assistant Professor, Department of Mental Health Nursing, College of Nursing, MTPG and RIHS, Puducherry.
2B.Sc. Nursing, Final Year Students, College of Nursing, MTPG and RIHS, Puducherry.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
A quantitative study was conducted to assess the level of perceived stress among the college students between the age group of 18 to 21 years at Puducherry. Stress is a condition of mental pressure or a particular individual facing a problem from environmental and social wellbeing which leads to so many diseases. The youth faces lots of changes in the young age which is consider as critical period of life. The perceived stress scale is used to measure the individual's stress. The objectives of the study were to assess the perceived level of stress among college students and to compare the level of stress between male and female students and to associate the level of perceived stress with the selected demographic variables. The quantitative research approach and comparative research design were used for the study. Total of 120 samples was chosen by purposive sampling techniques. Formal consent was obtained from the respective authority to conduct this study at MTPG and RIHS, Puducherry. Individual's privacy and confidentiality regarding the information was maintained. A perceived stress scale questionnaire was used among students to assess the level of perceived stress among adolescent. Data was analysed and interpreted using descriptive and inferential statistics. The Findings of the study shows that out of 120 students the highest percentage of 92(76.7%) of them have moderate stress, 17(14.2%) of them have low stress and 11(9.2%) of them have high perceived stress. The result of the study shows that stress is at moderate level among students and comparatively higher in females. The study concluded that stress is common among adolescents and is comparatively higher in females when compared to males.
Cite this article:
Suvitha, Rishiyadharshini, Roshini, Ruthra, Sairam. Level of perceived stress among college students, Puducherry. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(3):232-6. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00053
Suvitha, Rishiyadharshini, Roshini, Ruthra, Sairam. Level of perceived stress among college students, Puducherry. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(3):232-6. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00053 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-11-3-11
1. Dictionary by Merriam-Webster: America's Most-Trusted Online Dictionary. Available on: https://WWW.merrianwebster.com/.Accessed 20 Dec.2022.
2. “Long-Term Stress Management”. CESH/CSHS, Available on:https://humanstress.ca/stress/trick-your-stress/stress-management-quick-fixes/.Accessed 21 Dec.2022.
3. Kandula, Moses,et CSHA “A Descriptive study Related to Academic Stress Among Bsc Nursing students at Geetanjali College of Nursing,Kadapa,and Andhra pradesh’’. A and V Pub International Journal of Nursing and Medical Research,vol.1,no.1,Dec.2022,pp.1-4. ijnmronline.com, Available on :https://doi.org/10.52711/ijnmr.2022.01.
4. Deepa K Damodaran, et al. “What do Adolescent say about their stress and stressors?. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research 4(1):Jan-March 2014;page 92-95.
5. Dkhar, M., Mikari Marak, C. R., Kalita, M., Chiin Byak Hoih, M., Lyngkhoi, M., Lalrinkimi, M., Suchiang, M., Buragohain, M., Devina, M., Anjibala, M., and Anjibala, K. (n.d.). “A Study to Assess the Perceived Stress Level and Its Coping Strategies Among 1 st year B.Sc. Nursing Students of Arya Nursing College, Changsari With a View to Develop an Information Booklet on Management of Stress” ". Issue 1 Ser. I, 11, 22–33. Available on: https://doi.org/10.9790/1959-1101012233.
6. Wosser, Tenzin, et al.’A Study to Assess the Perceived Stress and Its Contributing factors among Nursing Students during the Initial Peroid of Their Clinical Posting in Selected College of Nursing, Bengaluru with a View to Develop a Preclinical Sensitization Programme’. Interational Journal of Advances in Nursing Management, vol.8, no.4,2020,pp.331-334.Dol.org, Available on: https://doi.org/10.5958/2454-2652.2020.000736.6
7. Reeta, jebakumari, et al.’Adolescents-Need to be cared!. Int. J. Adv. Nursing. Management 2(2): Apr-June,2014; Page:112-117.
8. Kalyani, M. Anandha, et al.’Assess the Level of Stress among Adolescent School Children.’Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research, Vol.8,no.3,2018,p.314. DOI.org, Available on: https://doi.org/10.5958/2349-2996.2018.00062.9.
9. Dhanalakshmi, N., and P. Muthumari.’Level of Self-Esteem, Stress and Coping Strategies among Adolescent Girls at Selected Schools, Vellore’. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management, vol.7,no.2,2019,p.153.DOI.org, Available on : https://doi.org/10.5958/2454-2652.2019.00037.4.
10. Hepsi Bai J.’Knowledge of Parents of Adolescent Regarding Adolescence Health. Asian Journal Nursing Education and Research 49(2):Apr-June 2014; Page:232-234.
11. Sonal Mary.’A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on Anger Management among Adolescent Students at a Selected School in Guwahati’. Interational Journal of Advances in Nursing Management,vol.5,no.4,2017,p.336.DOI.org, Available on :https://doi.org/10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00071.3.
12. Linta T Abraham, Usha M Thomas,Anitha, V.N.,et al, ‘A Study to Assess the Lifestyle Associated Riskfactors for Selected Non Communicable diseases and to Determine the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Health Promotive behaviours among Adolescents in the selected PU Colleges of Mysore.’ Asian Journal Nursing Education and Research 4(2):Apr-June 2014; Page 182-186
13. Bhargava, D., and Trivedi, H. (2018). “A Study of Causes of Stress and Stress Management among youth”. IRA-International Journal of Management and Social sciences (ISSN 2455-2267),11(3),108. Available on: https://doi.org/10.21013/jmss.v11.n3.p1
14. Avey,J.B.,Luthans,F., and Jensen,S.M.(2009). Psychological capital : A Positive resources for combating employee stress and turnover. Human Resource Management, 48(5),677-693 Available on :https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20294.
15. Vella Durai N., A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Teaching Programme on Social Anxiety among Adolescents in selected schools at Puliiangudi, Thirunelveli District, Tamilnadu. Asian Journal Nursing Education and Research 1(2):Apr-June 2011; Page : 68-70.
16. Ahmad A, Khalique N Khan Z, Amir “A. Prevalence of Psychosocial problems among School going male and female adolescents”. Indian Journal of Community Medicine.2007 Jul 1;32(3):219
17. Jain, A., Rathi, V., and Singh, S. (n.d.). A Comparative Study of Perceived Stress among College Going Females and Males. https://pramanaresearch.org/
18. Rafique, S. (2019). Perceived Stress among Medical Students: Prevalence, Source and Severity. Psychology and Psychotherapy Research Study, 2(3).https://doi.org/10.31031/pprs.2019.02.000538.19.https.//WWW.realbuzz.com
19. International Journal of Science and Healthcare Research (HYPERLINK “http://www.ijshv.com”.