Introduction: Nursing is a growing profession. Nursing practice is surrounded by legal and ethical aspects. Legal and ethical context of care focuses concern on the rights of patients and the quality of care they receive. Hence knowledge of the legal and ethical aspects is now regarded as an important component of nursing practice. A study was conducted among Registered Nurses, with the objectives to assess the knowledge regarding legal and ethical aspects of patient care, to find association between knowledge score and demographic variables and to develop information booklet on legal and ethical aspects of patient care. Materials and Methods: A quantitative, non-experimental survey approach was used. The sampling technique used in this study was the non-probability, convenient sampling technique. The study participants were two hundred (200) Registered Nurses working in various departments of Goa Medical College and Hospitals, Goa. Data was collected by using structured knowledge questionnaire consisting of demographic data and questionnaire on legal and ethical aspects of patient care prepared by the researcher. Data collected was analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics. Result and conclusion: Findings revealed 64% of Registered Nurses had good knowledge, 34.5% had average knowledge and 1.5% had poor knowledge. No significant association was found between level of knowledge and demographic variables. Study findings revealed the need to raise awareness on legal and ethical aspects of patient care among Registered Nurses and to improve their critical thinking ability and decision making during legal and ethical issues. In-service education should be provided for Registered Nurses to raise awareness on legal and ethical aspects related to patient care.
Cite this article:
Annie Merciana Dias. Knowledge regarding Legal and Ethical aspects of patient care among Registered Nurses in selected hospital of Goa with a view to prepare an Information Booklet. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(2):147-2. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00035
Annie Merciana Dias. Knowledge regarding Legal and Ethical aspects of patient care among Registered Nurses in selected hospital of Goa with a view to prepare an Information Booklet. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(2):147-2. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00035 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-2-14
1. Croke, Eileen M. EdD, Nurses, Negligence and Malpractice. American Journal of Nursing. 2003; 103(9): 54. Available on www.nursingcenter.com>
2. Nurse case study: Failure to follow policies and procedures on skin integrity. Retrieved from https://www.nso.com>Legal-cases
3. Varghese, D., Latha, T., Jomon, C.U. Knowledge on legal and ethical aspects in patient care among critical care nurses. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research. 2016; 6(3):197-201. Available on https://www.researchgate.net>3034
4. Kaur, S. A descriptive study to assess the knowledge and practice regarding legal and ethical aspects among staff nurses. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research. 2017; 7(5): 243-246. Available on http://www.ijhsr.org>
5. Thirunavukarasu, M.R., Velmurugan, A. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health. 2018; 5(9): 3882-3886. Available on http://www.ijcmph.com
6. Saju, A. Knowledge regarding legal aspects in patient care among staff nurses. Global Journal for Research Analysis. 2017; 7(3): 13-15. Available on https://www.worldwidejournals.com>
7. Kaur, H., Sodhi, J.K., Sharma, K. A study to assess the knowledge regarding legal responsibilities in nursing. International Journal of Healthcare Sciences.2014; 2(1): 50-53. Available on www.researchpublish.com
8. Devi, W.A. Nurse’s awareness on legal and ethical responsibilities in nursing. International Journal of Nursing Research and Practice. 2017; 4(1):53-57. Available on http://www.uphtr.com
9. Polit, D.F. and Beck, C.T. Essentials of Nursing Research. Wolters Kluver Pvt. Ltd., Delhi, 2013.
10. Sharma, S.K. Nursing Research and Statistics. DRELX India Pvt. Ltd., Delhi, 2016.