Background of the study: Female foeticide is very widely prevalent, despite laws against it. Haryana, being one of the states having alarmingly low sex ratio needs to address this problem of current significance. To combat the problem of female foeticide, there is need to educate the community on the issue. Widespread lack of awareness of the legal status of abortion services and women’s right under the existing law as well as of the facilities that offer abortion services call for socially and culturally appropriate information, education and communication (IEC) campaigns. The aim of the study is to evaluate the effectiveness of IEC (Information, Education and Communication) package on prevention of female foeticide in terms of knowledge and attitude of adults in a selected urban area of Rohtak (Haryana) Materials and method: One group pretest posttest design through pre experimental approach was adopted. Data was collected from randomly selected 150 adults (18-60yrs old) residing in urban areas namely Sainipura and Chamanpura, Rohtak (Haryana) using a structured interview schedule and an attitude scale. IEC (Information, Education and Communication) package consisted of Public education on female foeticide and it’s prevention, Charts and posters, Role play and Video teaching on prevention of female foeticide. Conceptual framework is based on Context, Input, Process and Product model for program evaluation developed by Stufflebeame and colleagues. IEC package was given on single day at a selected venue. Result: Assessment of pretest knowledge showed that only a handful of respondents (4.7%) had good knowledge and maximum candidates (94%) had less favorable attitude towards the prevention of female foeticide. After giving IEC package, majority (98.7%) of respondents were found to have good level of knowledge and maximum subjects (92%) were found to have favorable attitude towards prevention of female foeticide. No one had unfavorable attitude regarding prevention of female foeticide in the post test. The mean posttest knowledge score (32.29±2.14) was significantly higher than mean pretest knowledge score (18.34±4.95). The mean posttest attitude score (106.40) was significantly higher (Mean Difference - 19.67), as indicated by the “t” value t149=1.96. The improvement mean score obtained for overall knowledge is 13.95 with “t” value of 35.12 at p<0.001 level Conclusion. The study proved that IEC package was instructionally effective, socially acceptable and appropriate media for improving knowledge and attitude among community people.
Cite this article:
Sonia. A Study to Evaluate the effectiveness of IEC (Information, Education and Communication) package on prevention of female foeticide in terms of knowledge and attitude of adults in a selected urban area of Rohtak. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2021; 9(2):149-155. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00037.5
Sonia. A Study to Evaluate the effectiveness of IEC (Information, Education and Communication) package on prevention of female foeticide in terms of knowledge and attitude of adults in a selected urban area of Rohtak. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2021; 9(2):149-155. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00037.5 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-2-5
1. Government of India. Ministry of Women and child Development. Shastri Bhawan. [Internet]. Child Protection in the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012). New Delhi. Available from: (http://wcd.nic.in/wgchilprotection.pdf)
2. India.Society for the Protection of the Girl Child. An Overview of Gendercide and Daughter Abuse in India; 2011.
3. Female foeticide [Internet] Available from: http://developednation.org/indiaasp (retrieved on Jan 22,2012)
4. MOHFW. Govt. of India. Annual Report 2010-11. NRHM.part-6. Pp-325. Available from: http://mohfw.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/5772615131Annual%20Report%20part-6.pdf (retrieved on March 22, 2012)
5. Statistics Division Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Government of India. Family welfare statistics In India; 2011.21p.
6. Sundaramma P. Does abortion law abet female foeticide? The Hindu. 2012 May 27.
7. MOHFW. Govt. of India. [Internet]. New Delhi.Available from: http://mohfw.nic.in/showfile.php?lid=951
8. Amruta M. Bagwe. An Exploratory Study to Identify the Knowledge and Attitude Regarding Vasectomy among the Couples of Selected Area.Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2018; 8(1): 66-68.
9. Francis L. Effectiveness of the Video Teaching Program on Knowledge and Practice regarding the care of Physical and Psychological needs of Preschoolers among Parents. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 73-76.
10. Nisha. S, N. Kokilavani, Raja Shankar, Ashok Stastician. A Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Self-Instructional Module Regarding Learning Disabilities of Primary School Children among Primary School Teachers in Selected Schools at Coimbatore. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 48-52. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00011.8
11. N. Balasubramanian, Asha P Shetty, T. S. Sathyanaraya Rao. An Evaluative Study of Video Assisted Teaching Module (VATM) on Homecare of Schizophrenic Patients developed for Primary Caregivers at Mangaluru. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 53-60. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00012.X
12. Harish. P. M. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Brucellosis and it’s Prevention among cattle farmers in selected rural areas at Mangalore Taluk, Karnataka- A Pre Experimental Study. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 101-104. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00020.9
13. Rupali P. Pethe, Alphy Rose, Seema Singh. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching on Knowledge Regarding safe Handling of Chemotherapeutic Drugs among the Student Nurses in Selected Nursing Colleges of Vidarbha Region. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 95-101. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00019.2
14. Manoj Kumar L, Eugin S.B. Knowledge and Attitude Towards ECT among care Givers of Mentally ill Clients and their Socio Demographic Correlates: A cross Sectional Survey. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 12-16. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00004.0
15. Ansa Sunil, Angela Gnanadurai, Sr. Tresa Anto. Effect of Video Teaching on Knowledge in Prevention and Management of Selected Mosquito Borne Fever among Mothers of Children. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 35-42. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00009.X
16. Sneha Jose. Effect of Planned Teaching Programme on Knowledge of Immediate Care of Low Birth Weight Babies among Staff Nurses working in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in selected Hospitals of an Urban Area. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 209-218. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00043.X
17. Bhagya Seela S, ShanmugaRaju P. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Preventive Measures of Oral Cancer among Late Adolescents in Selected Junior College, Karminagar, Telangana. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 21-25. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00006.4
18. Gopi D, S. Deepa. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge and Attitude towards Alcohol Abuse among Adolescent Boys. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 173-176. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00035.0
19. Vipin Vageriya, Kamal Sharma. A Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Program on Knowledge about the Prevention and Management of Constipation among the Mothers of Infants in Alur Village, Hassan (Karnataka). Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 158-162. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00032.5