Ramanpreet Kaur, Davinder Kaur, Rajinder Singh Gupta
Ramanpreet Kaur, Davinder Kaur1, Rajinder Singh Gupta
1M. Sc Student, Gian Sagar College of Nursing, Ram Nagar, Rajpura, Patiala.
2Principal, Gian Sagar College of Nursing, Ram Nagar, Rajpura, Patiala.
3Prof. and Ex-Head of Department (Medicine), Gian Sagar Medical College and Hospital, Ram Nagar, Rajpura, Patiala.
Volume - 8,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Foot problems are common complication in people with diabetes mellitus. Frequent foot assessments and education by health professional can help the patient to prevent foot problems. This study was done to evaluate the effectiveness of therapeutic educational program on knowledge regarding foot care among patients at risk of developing diabetic foot. After approval from the ethical committee, randomized controlled trial conducted in medicine O.P.D of Gian Sagar Medical College and Hospital, Ram Nagar, Rajpura, District Patiala, Punjab on 60 patients at risk of developing diabetic foot assessed by Nova Scotia form. Patients were randomly allocated in experimental and control group. Knowledge questionnaire and brochure developed. Content validity index was (98%) and reliability was (0.9). After evaluating baseline knowledge in both groups, brochure provided to experimental group and post test was conducted after 2 weeks. Collected data analyzed by descriptive and inferential statistics. The study findings revealed that brochure showed significant increase (p<0.05) in mean knowledge scores of patients at risk of developing diabetic foot in experimental group regarding foot care as compared to control group. This study concluded that therapeutic educational program (brochure) was effective in increasing knowledge about foot care in patients at risk of developing diabetic foot.
Cite this article:
Ramanpreet Kaur, Davinder Kaur, Rajinder Singh Gupta. Effectiveness of Therapeutic Educational Program on knowledge regarding Foot Care among patients at Risk of Developing Diabetic Foot. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2020; 8(4):445-449. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2020.00099.X
Ramanpreet Kaur, Davinder Kaur, Rajinder Singh Gupta. Effectiveness of Therapeutic Educational Program on knowledge regarding Foot Care among patients at Risk of Developing Diabetic Foot. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2020; 8(4):445-449. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2020.00099.X Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-8-4-7
1. Manisha C, vaishali R. To assess the knowledge and practice regarding foot care among diabetic foot patient. Indian J.Sci.Res [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2016 October 17]; 4(2): 69-75. Available from : URL www.ijsr.in/upload/ 993669231
2. Saurabh S, Sarkar S, Selvaraj K, Sekhar S, Ganesh S, Roy G. Effectiveness of foot care education among people with type 2 diabetes in rural pudhucherry. Indian J Endocrinol Metab[Internet]. 2014 Feb [cited2016March20]; 18(1):106-10. Available from: URL: www.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC3968714
3. George H, Rakesh P, Krishna M, Alex R, Abraham VJ, George K, et al. Foot care knowledge and practice and the prevalence of peripheral neuropathy among people with diabetes attending a secondary care rural hospital in south India. J Family Med Prim Care [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2016 October 17]; 2(1):27-32. Available from URL: www. nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC3894008
4. Kaur H. Effectiveness of structured teaching programme regarding self care management in relation to prevention of complications among diabetics. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 4(3): July- Sept., 2014; Page 279-283.
5. Diabetes care program of Nova Scotia. [Internet]. Nova Scotia: Diabetes care program of Nova Scotia; 2009 Sept [Cited 2016 March 21]. Available from: URL http://diabetescare.nshealth.ca/ sites/ default/files/files/Foot Risk Assessment Form Guide.pdf
6. Wu L, Hou Q, Zhou Q, Peng F. Prevalence of risk factor for diabetic foot complication in a Chinese tertiary hospital. Int J Clin Exp Med. [Internet]. 2015 March [Cited 2016 Nov];8(3):3785-92 Available from: URL: www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26064275.
7. Nemcova J. and Hlinkova E. The efficacy of diabetic foot care education. JCN [internet]. 2013[cited 2017 May 12];23(5-6):877–82. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ jocn.12290/abstract
8. Kafiaie p, Noorbala MT, Soheilikhah S, Rashidi M. Evaluation of patients education on foot self care status in diabetic patients. Iran Red Crescent Med J [Internet]. 2012 Dec [cited 2016 October 17];14(12):829-32. Available from: URL: www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/23482390
9. Kumar P, Mangalathil TX, Choudhary V. An experimental study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge regarding the management of diabetes mellitus among G.N.M. students in selected nursing school at Sikar, Rajasthan. Asian J. Management 5(3): July-September, 2014 page 329-331.
10. Girija M, Kokilavani N. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge, Attitude and Practice among Patients with Hypertension. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 4(1): Jan.-March 2014; Page 136-139.
11. Ravindra HN, Kevin S. Christian, Pooja. G, Prem. R, Priyal. J, Rajat. A, Riya. R. Knowledge and Attitude on Self Monitoring of Blood Glucose (SMBG) Among Diabetic Patients belongs to Waghodia Taluka. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2016; 4(4): 398-403.
12. Puhan M, Panda A, Devi S. A Study to assess the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Developmental Milestones of Children between 0-2 Years among Mothers at Chirvaltola Basti, BBSR, Odisha. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 5(1): 87-90.
13. Roshan, Tukaram. A study to assess the effectiveness of planned teaching program on knowledge regarding foot care among diabetic client. Ijsr. 2013; (4):1652 .Available from :URL www. ijsr. net/archive/ v4i9/SUB158500. Pdf
14. Vasudevan NJ, Sara B. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus attending Diabetic OPD, RMMCH, Annamalai University. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(2): April- June 2014; Page 113-116.