Shiny T. Sam, Rinu J. George
Mrs. Shiny T. Sam1, Mr. Rinu J. George2*
1Assistant Professor (Medical Surgical Nursing), Shri Shankaracharya College of Nursing, Amdi Nagar, Hudco, Bhilai, (C.G.)
2Associate Professor (Child Health Nursing), Shri Shankaracharya College of Nursing, Amdi Nagar, Hudco, Bhilai, (C.G.)
Volume - 8,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Sjögren's syndrome is an inflammatory disease that can affect different parts of the body, but most often affects the tear and saliva glands. Sjögren syndrome is classified as an autoimmune disorder, one of the conditions that occur when immune system attacks the body's own tissues and organs. In Sjögren syndrome, the immune system primarily attacks the glands that produce tears (the lacrimal glands) and saliva (the salivary glands), impairing the glands' ability to secrete these fluids. Dry eyes and dry mouth are the most common symptoms. Other parts of body, such as swollen glands around face and neck, dry skin or nasal passages, or painful and stiff joints. Disorders involving connective tissue inflammation are sometimes called rheumatic conditions. Most of the treatment for Sjögren's syndrome is aimed at relieving symptoms of dry eyes and mouth and preventing and treating long-term complications such as infection and dental disease.
Cite this article:
Shiny T. Sam, Rinu J. George. Sjogren's Syndrome: An Overview. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2020; 8(4):539-542. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2020.00120.9
1. Ali Duarte, American College of Rheumatology Committee, available at https://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Sjogrens-Syndrome, Updated March 2019, assessed on 05-06-2020.
2. Brian S. Boxer Wachler, WebMD Medical Reference, available at https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/sjogrens-syndrome#1, on September 25, 2018, assessed on 05-06-2020.
3. Genetics Home References, https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/ sjogren-syndrome#resources, assessed on 25-06-2020.
4. Bayetto K, Logan RM. Sjögren's syndrome: a review of aetiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and management. Aust Dent J. 2010 Jun;55 Suppl 1:39-47. doi: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2010.01197.
5. Delaleu N, Jonsson MV, Appel S, Jonsson R. New concepts in the pathogenesis of Sjögren's syndrome. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2008 Nov;34(4):833-45, vii. doi: 10.1016/j.rdc.2008.08.004. Review.
6. Foulks GN, Forstot SL, Donshik PC, Forstot JZ, Goldstein MH, Lemp MA, Nelson JD, Nichols KK, Pflugfelder SC, Tanzer JM, Asbell P, Hammitt K, Jacobs DS. Clinical guidelines for management of dry eye associated with Sjögren disease. Ocul Surf. 2015 Apr;13(2):118-32. doi: 10.1016/j.jtos.2014.12.001. Epub 2015 Jan 15.
7. Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Medline Plus, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of Health, available at https:// medlineplus.gov/sjogrenssyndrome.html, Page last updated on 15 May 2020 Topic last reviewed: 7 March 2016. https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/ana-antinuclear-antibody-test/, Page last updated on 20 February 2020 Page last reviewed: 18 May 2018. https:// medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/rheumatoid-factor-rf-test/, Page last updated on 26 February 2020 Page last reviewed: 28 June 2018
8. J. Daniel Nelson,Specialty Care HealthPartners Medical Group & Clinics, and Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, available at https:// www.sjogrens.org/sites/default/files/inline -files/Dry%20Eye%20Patient%20Education%20Sheet.pdf.
9. Gordon A. Starkebaum, MD, MACR, ABIM Board Certified in Rheumatology, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Medline Plus, available at , https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000456.htm, Review Date 4/8/2019
10. Tincani A, Andreoli L, Cavazzana I, Doria A, Favero M, Fenini MG, Franceschini F, Lojacono A, Nascimbeni G, Santoro A, Semeraro F, Toniati P, Shoenfeld Y, Novel aspects of Sjögren's syndrome in 2012, BMC Med. 2013 Apr 4; 11:93., available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3616867/
11. American College of Rheumatology [Internet]. Atlanta: American College of Rheumatology; c2017. Antinuclear Antibodies (ANA) [updated 2017 Mar; cited 2017 Nov 17]; [about 3 screens]. Available from: https://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient -Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Antinuclear-Antibodies-ANA
12. Hinkle J, Cheever K. Brunner & Suddarth's Handbook of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests. 2nd Ed, Kindle. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; c2014. Antinuclear Antibodies (ANAS); 53 p.
13. Arthritis Foundation [Internet]. Atlanta: Arthritis Foundation; Rheumatoid Arthritis Diagnosis [cited 2018 Feb 28]; [about 4 screens]. Available from: https://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/types/ rheumatoid-arthritis/diagnosing.php
14. Sjogren’s Syndrome symptoms, available at https:// creakyjoints.org/symptoms/sjogrens-syndrome-symptoms/, assessed on 03/07/2020