Children with visual impairment face difficulties in maintaining personal hygiene independently. They will function more efficiently with auditory experience. Education through audio drama will help the children to be more responsible for the personal hygiene of themselves. A study was conducted to assess the effectiveness of audio drama on knowledge and practice regarding personal hygiene among visually impaired children of selected blind school, Ernakulam district. The objectives of the study were 1.to assess the knowledge and practice of visually impaired children regarding personal hygiene before and after audio drama. 2.to evaluate the effectiveness of audio drama on knowledge and practice regarding personal hygiene among visually impaired children. 3.to find out the relationship between knowledge and practice of visually impaired children regarding personal hygiene. 4.to find out the association of knowledge and practices of visually impaired children with selected demographic variables. Quasi experimental one group pre-test post-test design was used to collect data from 30 visually impaired children by purposive sampling method. Structured interview questionnaire and rating scale were used for collecting the data and was analysed by using descriptive and inferential statistics. The results showed that the audio drama is statistically significant in improving the knowledge (t29=10.08, table value t29=2.05, p<0.05) and practice (t29=11.29, table value t29=2.05, p<0.05) of visually impaired children regarding personal hygiene. Results also revealed that there is no significant association between knowledge and practice of visually impaired children regarding personal hygiene with selected demographic variables. The findings suggest that audio drama had significant effect on improving the personal hygiene of visually impaired children.
Cite this article:
Rinka Mol Chackochan. Effectiveness of Audio Drama on Knowledge and Practice regarding Personal Hygiene among Visually Impaired Children. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(2):127-0. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00029
Rinka Mol Chackochan. Effectiveness of Audio Drama on Knowledge and Practice regarding Personal Hygiene among Visually Impaired Children. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(2):127-0. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00029 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-2-8
1. Mariam M. Strategies for Solving Tasks by Blind.[thesis]; University of OSLO. Available from :https://www.duo.uio.no/bitstream/handle/10852/ 30574/Mariamx Mikiashvilix StrategiesxforxSolvingx TasksxbyxBlind.pdf? sequence=2.
2. Connors EC, Yazzolino LA, Sánchez J, Merabet LB. Development of an audio-based virtual gaming environment to assist with navigation skills in the blind. J Vis Exp[internet]. 2013 Mar 27;(73). Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc /articles/ PMC3641639
3. Lotfi B. Merabet, Erin C. Connors, Mark A. Halko, Jaime Sánchez. : Teaching the Blind to Find Their Way by Playing Video Games [Internet].[cited 2014 Jun 13]. Available from: http://www.plosone.org/article/info% 3Adoi %2F10.1371%2Fjournal. pone.0044958
4. Philomina R. Study to assess the effectiveness of audiodrama on knowledge regarding menstrual hygiene among visually challenged girls in selected institutions, Bangalore. [dissertation] Rajiv Gandhi university of health sciences;2013. Available from http://www.rguhs.ac.in/cdc/onlinecdc/ uploads/ 05_ N030_48637.doc
5. Hebbal M, Ankola AV. Development of a new technique (ATP) for training visually impaired children in oral hygiene maintenance. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2012;13(5):244-7. Available from www.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/ pubmed/23043880
6. Nisha S.A study to assess the factors related to selected health problems and determine the effectiveness of Audiodrama in lifestyle modifications and its related outcomes among visually impaired children in selected schools at Coimbatore district. J Nurs Educ Research.2013;1 (1): 29-31.
7. Nisha R. Study to assess the effectiveness of puppet show on knowledge regarding personal hygiene among primary school children in Bangalore. [dissertation]. Rajiv Gandhi university of health sciences;2010. Available from http://www.rguhs.ac.in /cdc /onlinecdc/ uploads/