Oxygen is one of the most important necessities in our life such as air, water, food and vitamins. Deficiency in either the delivery or the utilization of oxygen at the tissue level leading to changes in functions, metabolisms and structures of cells and tissues of the body. A variety of pathological condition exist where the affected tissues are hypoxic or exhibit a low oxygen tension. Each of the billions of cells that make up the human body requires an adequate supply of oxygen for survival and optimum functioning. Cells and organisms are able to trigger an adaptive response to hypoxic conditions that is aimed to help them to cope with the life threatening conditions.
Cite this article:
R. Deepa. Help Me Breathe Easy. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 9(3):361-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2021.00083
R. Deepa. Help Me Breathe Easy. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 9(3):361-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2021.00083 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-3-25
1. Pollak, Charles P.; Thorpy, Michael J.;Yager,Jan (2010).The encyclopedia of sleep and sleep disorders, 3rd ed, New York, NY.P.104
2. Eckman, Margaret (2010). Professional guide to pathophysiology, 3rd ed, Philadelphia: Wolterw Kluwer/Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.p.208
3. Signs and symptoms of hypoxaemia, https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=Qj3xxNfWsH8
4. Simon M, Braune S, Frings D, Wiontzek AK, Klose H (2014), Acute hypoxaemic ventilation, Critical care, Dec 1; 18(6): 712
5. Harden B, Cross J, Broad MA(2009), Respiratory physiotherapy: An on-call survival guide. Elsevier Health Sciences
6. Hardinge M, Annandale J, Bourne S, Cooper B (2015), Society guidelines for home oxygen use in adults: accredited by NICE. Thorax, Jun 1; 70(suppl 1): i1-43
7. Krzywinska, Ewelina and Christian Stockmann. (2018), Hypoxia, metabolism and immune cell function, Biomedicines 6.2: 56
8. Eckert, Danny J., et al.(2008), Effects of hypoxia and sleep in healthy men, Journal of Applied Phsiology 104.5: 1426-1435
9. Marini JJ,Gattinoni L, Management of COVID-19 respiratory distress, JAMA-J Am Med AssocAmerican Medical Association. 2020. Epub ahead of print.
10. Sheffield, Heimbach (1985). “Respiratory physiology-In: Fundmentals of Aerospace Medicine, DeHart ed, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, pp.91-102
11. Ilknur Hatice Akbudak and Asli Mete (2018), “Pathophysiology of Apnea, Hypoxia, and Preoxygenation”, Open access peer-reviewed chapter, doi:10.5772/intechopen.76851