Shivaleela S Sarawad, Veerabhadrappa G Mendagudli
Shivaleela S Sarawad1*, Veerabhadrappa G Mendagudli2
1Assistant Professor, Dr. Vithalrao Vikhe Patil Foundation’s College of Nursing, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India.
2Associate Professor, Dr. Vithalrao Vikhe Patil Foundation’s College of Nursing, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 9,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Leprosy is an infectious disease caused by Mycobacterium leprae, an acid-fast, rod-shaped bacillus. The disease mainly affects the skin, the peripheral nerves, mucosa of the upper respiratory tract, and the eyes. Leprosy is curable and treatment in the early stages can prevent disability.
• Leprosy is curable with multidrug therapy (MDT).
• Leprosy is likely transmitted via droplets, from the nose and mouth, during close and frequent contact with untreated cases.
• Early Diagnosis And Treatment With Multidrug Therapy (MDT) Remain Key In Eliminating The Disease As A Public Health Concern.
• Untreated, Leprosy Can Cause Progressive And Permanent Damage To The Skin, Nerves, Limbs And Eyes.
• There Were 208 619 New Leprosy Cases Registered Globally In 2018, According To Official Figures from 159 Countries from The 6 WHO Regions.
• Based On 184 212 Cases At The End Of 2018, Prevalence Rate Corresponds To 0.2/10 000.
Cite this article:
Shivaleela S Sarawad, Veerabhadrappa G Mendagudli. Hansen’s disease (Leprosy) – A Review. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2021; 9(2):242-244. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00058.2
Shivaleela S Sarawad, Veerabhadrappa G Mendagudli. Hansen’s disease (Leprosy) – A Review. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2021; 9(2):242-244. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00058.2 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-2-26
1. Papri Das. Textbook of community health nursing. 1st edition, Paras Medical Publisher, New Delhi. 206-209.
2. Veerabhadrappa G Mendagudli. The Short textbook of Community Health Nursing.1st edition, Jaypee brothers medical publishers, newdelhi.page no.184-189.
3. K.K.Gulani.A textbook of Community Health Nursing for GNM.Vol.1,second edition, kumar publishing house, New delhi. 189-195.
4. Kamala. G.Community Health Nursing-I.1st edition, Florence Publishers, hydrabad..416-425.