It’s vital that we start training and creating more diversity in the field of nursing and healthcare in general. As the population in the U.S. becomes more diverse (currently, 37% of the U.S. population is comprised of minorities and that’s expected to increase to 57% in 2060), the need for a more diverse healthcare system is pertinent. Diversity means appreciating the differences between people and treating people's values, beliefs, cultures and lifestyles with respect. In a health and social care environment, it's important that equality and diversity are at the heart of what you do. Your patients and service users are individual people.
Cite this article:
Sneha R. Dubey. Diversity in Health care. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2020; 8(3):397-399. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2020.00086.1
1. Sharma K, Grant D, Parikh R, et al. Race and breast cancer reconstruction: is there a health care disparity? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 138:354–361.
2. Alegría M, Canino G, Ríos R, et al. Inequalities in use of specialty mental health services among Latinos, African Americans, and non-Latino whites. Psychiatr Serv. 2002; 53:1547–1555.
3. Kutalek R. Diversity competence in medicine: equity, culture and practice. Cent Eur J Med. 2012;124: 3–9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
4. Castillo RJ, Guo KL. A framework for cultural competence in health care organizations. Health Care Manag (Frederick). 2011; 30:205–214.
5. Chatterji P, Joo H, Lahiri K. Beware of being unaware: racial/ethnic disparities in chronic illness in the USA. Health Econ. 2012;21: 1040–1060
6. Jackson CS, Gracia JN. Addressing health and health-care disparities: the role of a diverse workforce and the social determinants of health. Nursing in 3D. 2014;129: 57–61. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
7. DeSanti RL, Nair L, Adetayo OA. Increasing diversity in plastic surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018;142: 813e–814e.
8. Adetayo OA, Adetayo O. Ethnic diversity remains scarce in academic plastic and reconstructive surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010;125: 1848
9. Peek ME, Wilson SC, Bussey-Jones J, et al. A study of national physician organizations’ efforts to reduce racial and ethnic health disparities in the United States. Acad Med. 2012; 87:694–700.
10. Like RC. Educating clinicians about cultural competence and disparities in health and health care. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2011; 31:196–206.