Karishma Vyas, Chetna Paliwal, Gaurav Pathak, Dharmesh Chaturvedi
Karishma Vyas1, Chetna Paliwal2, Gaurav Pathak3, Dharmesh Chaturvedi4
1Lecturer, RCM College of Nursing, Falna, Pali, Rajasthan.
2Assistant Professor, Tirupati College of Nursing, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
3Phd Scholar Nursing, Sai Tirupati University, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
4Phd Scholar Nursing, Sai Tirupati University, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
Osteoporosis is a systemic skeletal disorder characterized by compromised bone strength predisposing to an increased risk of bone fracture. The rate of bone re absorption is greater than the bone turnover is altered. In osteoporosis the bone became progressively porous, brittle and fragile they fracture easily under stresses that would not break normal bone. Therefore, present study aims to assess the effectiveness of Video assisted teaching Program (VATP) on knowledge regarding osteoporosis and its prevention among menopausal women. Quasi experimental research design was selected to conduct the study.120 menopausal women were selected for this study by using purposive sampling technique. Result revealed that around 67%menopausal women in control group and 57% menopausal women in experimental group had inadequate knowledge score in pre-test. Whereas in post-test approximately 57% menopausal women in control group had inadequate knowledge score and none scored adequate knowledge score. While in experimental group 67% menopausal women scored adequate knowledge score in post-test. The Paired‘t’ test value for control group was 1.7 which was lower than table value and Paired‘t’ test value for experimental group was 10.11 which was greater than table value at .05 level of significance. This shows that there is significant difference between the pre-test and post-test level of knowledge regarding osteoporosis and its prevention among menopausal women in experimental group. There was no significant association found between the pre-test knowledge score regarding osteoporosis and its prevention among menopausal women with demographic variables in experimental group while in control group family history of osteoporosis was found in association with pre test knowledge score. Conclusion: Study concluded with strong need for proper health education in enhancing knowledge regarding osteoporosis and its prevention among menopausal women.
Cite this article:
Karishma Vyas, Chetna Paliwal, Gaurav Pathak, Dharmesh Chaturvedi. Effectiveness of VATP on knowledge level regarding Osteoporosis and its management: A Quasi Experimental Study. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(1):22-6. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00004
Karishma Vyas, Chetna Paliwal, Gaurav Pathak, Dharmesh Chaturvedi. Effectiveness of VATP on knowledge level regarding Osteoporosis and its management: A Quasi Experimental Study. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 11(1):22-6. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2023.00004 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-11-1-4
1. Report on osteoporosis. Available from http// www.osteofound.org
2. Pankaj Desai. Principles and practice of obstetrical and gynaecology for post graduates.3rd edition. 2nd volume. New Delhi 2008: 1111-1119
3. Indumathi V, Vidaya S. Patil, RJ. Hospital based preliminary study on osteoporosis in Postmenopausal women. Indian Journal of Biochemistry September 2007; 22(2); 96-100,
4. Bimal KN. The mental and physical problems women may undergo during menopause and suggest way to overcome such problems. J Health Action March 2008: 18-21.
5. Vidya Iyengar, “Osteoporosis is a lifestyle disorder”, Daily News and Analysis, Bangalore. Oct, 20, 2010.
6. Reshma RN, Shrisha, Maria Pais. Creating awareness for prevention of osteoporosis among rural women. J Nightingale Nursing times 2010 Nov; 6(8): 62-63.
7. Shalmon S Chopade., Mr.Shashikumar Jawadagi. A study to assess the effectiveness of planned teaching programme on knowledge of Type I osteoporosis and its prevention among menopause women in selected PHC at Bijapur’. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science.p- ISSN: 2320–1940 Volume 3, Issue 6 Ver. II (Nov.-Dec. 2014), PP 21-25. Available from www.iosrjournals.org
8. Senthilraja, M., Cherian, K. E., Jebasingh, F. K., Kapoor, N., Paul, T. V., & Asha, H. S. (2019). Osteoporosis knowledge and beliefs among postmenopausal women: A cross-sectional study from a teaching hospital in southern India. Journal of family medicine and primary care, 8(4), 1374–1378. https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_95_19
9. Gopinathan, Nirmal Raj & Sen, RameshKumar & Behera, Prateek & Aggarwal, Sameer & Khandelwal, Niranjan & Sen, Mitali. Awareness of osteoporosis in postmenopausal Indian women: An evaluation of Osteoporosis Health Belief Scale. Journal of Mid-life Health.2016. 7. 180. 10.4103/0976-7800.195697.
10. Zohreh Khoshnood, Monireh Anoosheh, Ebrahim Haji Zadej. A Description of Osteoporosis Preventive Behaviors in Iranian Adolescent Girls. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2016; 6(1): 1-4. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00001.X Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2016-6-1-1
11. Jesni K John, Jismi Sunny, Megha C Baby, Saranya S, Snehamol Sibi, Tisha Thomas, Lincy Joseph, Sheba Elsan Mathew. A study to assess the knowledge regarding risk factors and Preventive measures of Osteoporosis among Elderly patients in a selected Hospital Kidandoor. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(2):211-213. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00047.0 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-2-19
12. Varghese A, Siva R, Paul TV, Selvaraj KG. Risk factors and knowledge of osteoporosis in rural pre-menopausal women. Indian J Cont Nsg Edn [serial online] 2019; 20:22-7. Available from: https://www.ijcne.org/text.asp?2019/20/1/22/268690
13. Mortada, Eman & Bahlal, LulwahAl & Sayer, RawabiAl & Ghamdi, AlaaAl.. Effectiveness of educational intervention on improving awareness about osteoporosis among university female employees. International Journal of Advanced Research.2017. 5. 1016-1023. 10.21474/IJAR01/3247.
14. Moses S. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Osteoporosis among the Women Residing in Selected Rural Areas. Community and Public Health Nursing Vol. 1 No. 2, July - December 2016 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.21088/cphn.2455.8621.1216.9
15. Ranbhise N et al .Evaluating the Effectiveness of Informational Booklet on Knowledge of Osteoporosis among Working Women of, Kolhapur Information Booklet and Osteoporosis .Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, August 2020, Vol. 11, No. 8. Available from https://ijphrd.com/scripts/IJPHRD_August%202020.pdf#page=85
16. Rijo George. Effectiveness of Self-Instructional module on prevention of Osteoporosis among middle aged women who are attending Orthopaedic outpatient department in selected hospital, Bangalore. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2020; 8(4):525-528. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2020.00116.7 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-8-4-2
17. Mohapatra et al. Video-assisted teaching module on knowledge of osteoporosis. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health | 2016 | Vol 5 | Issue 4 DOI: 10.5455/ijmsph.2016.02112015239
18. Alagammal G. Assess the effectiveness of video assisted teaching about menopausal transition and coping among premenopausal women in selected urban area Choolai, Chennai. 2014 (Doctoral dissertation, College of Nursing, Madras Medical College, Chennai)
19. Sahoo S, Dash B. Effectiveness of video assisted teaching module (vatm) on the knowledge of geriatric people regarding prevention and management of joint pain. Journal on Nursing. 2021 Feb 1; 11(1).
20. Dwivedi J, Chaturvedi D, Nagda S. Effectiveness of educational package on knowledge and practice regarding prevention of coronary artery disease (CAD) among patients with modifiable risk factors of CAD. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(1):37-41
21. Lingaraju CM, Munirathna, Mamatha. A Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of a Structure Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding Nutritional Deficiency among Adolescent girls in selected PU Colleges at Mysore. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2019; 7(1): 41-44. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2019.00011.8 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2019-7-1-11
22. Akhila, Vijayarani Prince, Hepsi Sujatha, Glory Suramanjari. Effectiveness of structured teaching programme on alternative remedies for menopausal symptoms among women between the age group of 45-55 years in a selected village at Dharapuram Taluk. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2020; 8(2):157-161. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2020.00037.2 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-8-2-12
23. Sheela Williams, Lissa J, Saraswathi. K. N. A Study to assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Polycystic Ovarian Disease among Adolescent Girls in Selected Colleges in Mysuru. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(3): 371-375. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00074.X Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2017-7-3-21
24. V. Savitha, D. Roopa, K. M. Sridhara. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding Home Remedies on reducing Dysmenorrhea among Adolescent girls at St. Paul’s girls High school, Davangere. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2016; 6(3): 327-330. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00061.6 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2016-6-3-8
25. Shobeiri F, Hesami E, Khodakarami B, Soltanian A. Effect of nutritional counselling based on health belief model for osteoporosis prevention in women: A quasi-experimental research. Journal of postgraduate medical institute. 2016; 30(4):345-51.
26. Shakil, A., Gimpel, N.E., Rizvi, H. et al. Awareness and Prevention of Osteoporosis among South Asian Women. J Community Health 35, 392–397 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-010-9263-4.
27. Dawit Tesfaye Rundasa, Aynalem Adu Ayisa, Enyew Getaneh Mekonen, Knowledge, health belief, and associated factors towards the prevention of osteoporosis among post-menopausal women in Metu Town, southwest Ethiopia: A community-based cross-sectional study, International Journal of Orthopaedic and Trauma Nursing, 2021, 100905, ISSN 1878-1241, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijotn.2021.100905.