Christeena Paul, Sonu Ann Alex, Shijit Treesa Varghese, Angel Mariam Saji, Arya Ashokan, Feba Daisy John, Raseenamol A.K, Rini Chacko, Sr. Mary Jyothi, Anu Rose Andrew
Christeena Paul, Sonu Ann Alex1, Shijit Treesa Varghese1, Angel Mariam Saji1, Arya Ashokan1, Feba Daisy John1, Raseenamol A.K1, Rini Chacko1, Sr. Mary Jyothi2*, Anu Rose Andrew3
1B.Sc. Nursing Students, Pushpagiri College of Nursing, Tiruvalla, Kerala, India.
2Associate Professor, Child Health Nursing Dept., Pushpagiri College of Nursing, Tiruvalla, Kerala, India.
3Registered Nurse, Portsmouth University Hospital, NHS Trust, UK.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Antibiotic resistance is the ability of a microorganism to withstand the effects of an antibiotic. When bacteria become resistant, the powerful antibiotics can no longer fight them, and the bacteria multiply causing the disease to flare up leading to deaths. A report ‘Review Antimicrobial Resistance’, stated that the deaths attributable to antimicrobial resistance [AMR] every year compared to other major causes of death in 2050 will be 10 million, as compared to death by RTA’s, cancer, cholera, DM, measles and tetanus.1 But, with the help of proper health education, 90% of the antibiotic resistance can be reduced2. Children are a vulnerable group more prone for infections, and thereby are higher consumers of antibiotics. Since, mothers are the prime decision makers of their child’s health, the investigators felt the need to assess the “Knowledge and practice regarding the use of antibiotics and antibiotic resistance among the mothers of children in the paediatric wards at a selected hospital in Pathanamthitta”. 100 mothers were selected for the current study using convenient sampling technique. Baseline variables, knowledge and practice among the mothers were assessed by using baseline performa, structured knowledge and practice questionnaire. The knowledge and practice scores were analyzed using frequency, percentage, mean and standard deviation. The association of the scores with selected baseline variables were assessed using Chi-square test and Kruskal-Wallis test. And the correlations of the knowledge and practice scores were assessed using the Pearson’s coefficient of correlation. In this study among 100 mothers, 65(65%) of mothers were found to have good knowledge, 26(26%) mothers had poor knowledge and 9 (9%) are having excellent knowledge regarding antibiotics and antibiotic resistance. About 47(47%) of them were having best practice, 45(45%) were found to have good practice and 8(8%) had poor practice with respect to use of antibiotics for their children. No correlation was found between mothers’ knowledge regarding the antibiotics and antibiotic resistance and their practice. In view of the study results, a pamphlet was developed and given to the ward for distribution to the parents of children getting admitted in the wards after content validity and expert advice.
Cite this article:
Christeena Paul, Sonu Ann Alex, Shijit Treesa Varghese, Angel Mariam Saji, Arya Ashokan, Feba Daisy John, Raseenamol A.K, Rini Chacko, Sr. Mary Jyothi, Anu Rose Andrew. Knowledge and practice of mothers regarding use of Antibiotics and Antibiotic resistance. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(4):294-8. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00068
Christeena Paul, Sonu Ann Alex, Shijit Treesa Varghese, Angel Mariam Saji, Arya Ashokan, Feba Daisy John, Raseenamol A.K, Rini Chacko, Sr. Mary Jyothi, Anu Rose Andrew. Knowledge and practice of mothers regarding use of Antibiotics and Antibiotic resistance. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(4):294-8. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2022.00068 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-4-3
1. Harbarth S, Samore MH. Antimicrobial resistance determinants and future control. Emerging Infectious Diseases. [Internet]. [Cited on 18 february2019]. Available from: https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1106.050167 PMID: 15963271
2. Aishwarya J. Ramalingam. History of Antibiotics and Evolution of Resistance. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 8(12): Dec., 2015; Page 1719-1724. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00309.1
3. Science daily. Definition of antibiotic resistance [internet] 2016 [cited on 26 February 2019]. Available from: https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/antibiotic_resistance.html
4. Sreeja. M.K, Gowrishankar N.L, Adisha. S, Divya. K.C. Antibiotic Resistance-Reasons and the Most Common Resistant Pathogens – A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1886-1890. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00331.6
5. J. Divya Maria, VijeyAanandhi. M. An Overview on Antibiotic use and resistance. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(8): 2793-2796. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00494.2
6. Ahmed AbduljabbarJaloobAljanaby, IsraaAbduljabbarJaloobAljanaby. Profile of Antimicrobial Resistance of Aerobic Pathogenic Bacteria isolated from Different Clinical Infections in Al-Kufa Central Hospital –Iraq During period from 2015 to 2017. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(10):3264-3270. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00579.0 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView .aspx?PID= 2017-10-10-3
7. PadmajaUdayakumar. Medical pharmacology.4th edition: CBS publications; New Delhi. 2005: page no: 197-99, 122-24.
8. Maheshwari. P, Manimekalai. P, Anuja. P, AbukBiar. Antibiotic Drug Utilization and Evaluation in Pediatric Patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(8): 2704-2706. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00480.2
9. Patil PJ, Patil VS, Chavan RH. Awareness, Knowledge and Attitude about Antibiotics use among Society. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5202-5206. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00909.9
10. Department of Periodontics and Community Dentistry, College of Dentistry, King Saudi University, Riyadh. Knowledge, attitude and practice of antibiotic use and misuse among adults in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 February 26]. Available form:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28917069.
11. Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan. Knowledge, attitudes and behavior regarding antibiotics use and misuse among adults in the community of Jordan. [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 February26].Availableform:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3744980.
12. Department of Community, Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University. Mother's knowledge about antibiotic and role of self- prescription. [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 February 26]. Available form: https: //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed.in