Aim: A survey was conducted to identify the health problems of elderly residing in a selected rural community of Ernakulam district. Background: People worldwide are living longer. Today, 125 million people are aged 80 years or older in the world. Older age is also characterized by the emergence of several complex health states that tend to occur only later in life. Common conditions in older age include hearing loss, cataracts, refractive errors, back and neck pain, osteoarthritis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes, hypertension, depression and dementia. Furthermore, as people age, they are more likely to experience several conditions at the same time1. Methods: A survey was conducted to identify the health problems of elderly population residing in a selected rural community of Ernakulam district. 340 elderly aged 60 years and above were included in the study. Convenient sampling technique was used and data regarding health problems of elderly was collected by interview method. Results: The present study concluded that among the 340 subjects, 62.1% had health problems. The major health problems among elderly were sleep disturbances (40.6%), problems of vision (33.5%), musculoskeletal problems (24.4%), hypertension (23.8%), diabetes mellitus (21.8%) and hearing problems (20.3%). 4.1% of elderly were having difficulty to perform their activities of daily living as measured by Katz Index of activities of daily living Scale. Conclusion: The study shows that elderly suffers from various health problems, which shows the need of comprehensive health service to address these problems.
Cite this article:
Anu Jacob Kachappillil. Health problems among Elderly - A Community based survey in a rural area of Ernakulam district. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 9(3):325-7. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2021.00076
Anu Jacob Kachappillil. Health problems among Elderly - A Community based survey in a rural area of Ernakulam district. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 9(3):325-7. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2021.00076 Available on: https://ijneronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-3-18
1. World health organization. Ageing and health. [Online]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ageing-and-health. [Accessed 12 March 2021].
2. Bhatt AN, Joseph MR, Xavier IA, Sagar P, Remadevi S, Paul SS. Health problems and healthcare needs of elderly-community perspective from a rural setting in India. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2017; 4(4): 1213-8.
3. Maroof M, Ahmad A, Khalique N, Ansari MA. Health problems among the aged: a community based study from urban Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2016; 3: 944-7.
4. Social statistics division, Government of India. Elderly in India 2016. [Online]. Available from: http://mospi.nic.in/sites/default/ files/publication_reports/ Elderly in India_2016.pdf [Accessed 15 March 2021].
5. Bag J, Sanyal D, Daniel LT. Development and validation of perceived health problem questionnaire for elderly population.
6. Katz S, Downs TD, Cash HR, Grotz RC. Progress in development of the index of ADL. The Gerontologist. 1970 Mar 1; 10(1_Part_1): 20-30.
7. Neikrug AB, Ancoli-Israel S. Sleep disorders in the older adult–a mini-review. Gerontology. 2010; 56(2): 181-9.
8. Marmamula S, Ravuri CS, Boon MY, Khanna RC. A cross-sectional study of visual impairment in elderly population in residential care in the South Indian state of Andhra Pradesh: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2013 Jan 1; 3(3).
9. Hannula S, Bloigu R, Majamaa K, Sorri M, Mäki-Torkko E. Self-reported hearing problems among older adults: prevalence and comparison to measured hearing impairment. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 2011; 22(8): 550-9.
10. Löhler J, Cebulla M, Shehata-Dieler W, Volkenstein S, Völter C, Walther LE. Hearing impairment in old age: detection, treatment, and associated risks. Deutsches Aerzteblatt International. 2019; 116(17): 301.
11. Gheno R, Cepparo JM, Rosca CE, Cotten A. Musculoskeletal disorders in the elderly. Journal of Clinical Imaging Science. 2012; 2.
12. Paul BJ. Musculoskeletal Problems in Elderly. BMH Medical Journal-ISSN 2348–392X. 2020 Feb 23; 7(Suppl).
13. Gupta S, Kumar R, Kalaivani M, Nongkynrih B, Kant S, Gupta SK. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of diabetes and hypertension among elderly persons in a rural area of Ballabgarh, Haryana. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2020; 9(2): 777.